Saturday 24 April 2010

Chicago

So i got my load from Brooks after a bit of a wait for paper work, someone said the plant had changed brokers and the paper work was being delayed. Because of this, the meat plant had arranged for both the meat inspections to stay open until 7pm instead of the usual 4.30pm. I managed to get to inspection with 5 minutes to spare, so i was done and on my way again. Had a good run down to Chicago and parked up at my first drop. Did the first drop at 6am and had the other 3 off by noon. I have never been into Chicago before, only through it on the express way, which at the wrong time of day is really busy. So i wasn't sure what to expect. Chicago has an elevated rail system which runs in and out of the city, and some of the old bridges are very low. Standerd height for trailers over here is 13 foot 6 inch and some of the bridges are lower than this, some are not marked, some say '13 foot 6 inch EXCATLY'  then have street lights hanging under them. Is the measurement to the lights or bridge?  When you get your dispatch they give you the number for Chicago low underpass info. You ring this number, give the person your delivery address and they give you a route, its a good system that seems to work well. I rang the number and gave the women all my delivery addresses and the order i had to do them in, and she gave me the full route start to finish, she even told me on one underpass to drop my suspension! So if your going anywhere near downtown Chicago for the first time make sure youv'e got the number.

2 comments:

  1. That a cool system that would help in parts of europe as i have run into my share of low bridges and had to back out.Nice to see the your blog updated mate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Chris, it is a good system that works well. while i was on the phone i could hear other people in the background argueing about my route, when they all made up their minds and give me the route it was spot on. they even kept me off the express way first thing in the morning cos of the traffic!

    ReplyDelete